Thursday, March 10, 2011

Destination: Procrastination

You all should be very happy that Uni is in full swing and I am finding any way to procrastinate. I have even washed my sheets and semi- picked up my room. As promised- I have long delayed pictures of my fabulous apartment. I really enjoy living here (except there's no air conditioning) and have come to call it my home.


Possibly my most prized accomplishment- a full cupboard

The seldom used eating area

The kitchen

Our living room/common area

My messy bedroom


Again...But notice the decorated bulletin board!



That is my apartment in a nutshell- I believe it's the nicest college accommodation I have ever seen- no shared bedrooms or bathrooms!

I have a few updates and stories to share with you- I realized my blog may become a bit boring as I am trying to be a good student and focus on my studies!  I finally made it to the dentist and got my retainer glued back in. I had about a 15 minute walk to the dentist from my apartment and as I was stopped at a very busy intersection waiting to cross the street, a middle aged Indian man starts to make polite conversation. I responded with quick answers but was very distracted because I was running late to my appointment. The next thing I know, he has asked me out for the weekend and I am left speechless- instead of responding I pretend to take a phone call and have a one sided conversation with myself the rest of the way to the dentist. That should teach me never to talk to strangers!

My first package from the states arrived today and I could not be more excited- it felt like Christmas morning when I opened the box! I finally received clothes that I ordered a month before I left the states (although it is now turning too cold for most of them- guess I need to do some more online shopping!) I also received some necessities- band aids (for my now infected feet) bobby pins (they are ridiculously expensive here!) and reusable shopping bags. And to my surprise I received some extra goodies- Twizzlers and a book I've been waiting to read. The other day in the mail I also received some recipes from home- although I have yet to cook them!

Yesterday was Toga Night at Ubar and I am glad I experienced the stereotypical college toga party (although we were legally drinking.) It was a very fun night, and I discovered making a toga is a lot harder than it seems.

Before toga party (the middle one is my flatmate Ally)



All in all, I have really started to feel finally settled and in my element. I have become very close to the girls in my apartment and am truly grateful to them for showing me the ropes. I am beginning to learn the very fine tuned balance of uni, study, and social-although I think social will always outweigh the others!

1 comment:

  1. WOw - I can't believe it just took a week to get the package to you! Knowing that we will now get the next one ready. I have been putting a few things together. Get me a list of what you need from here - sending the surprises are the best! I love seeing the pictures of your apt. It helps me picture you there. Sounds like things are going well, looking forward to "seeing" you Saturday night. Hopefully you have news on the job front. Love you lots - Mama

    ReplyDelete